The Democratic Club of Ocean City/Berlin is planning three membership events for 2013. Please mark your calendar now for Wednesday, April 17, 2013, a luncheon meeting beginning at 11 a.m. The club will also schedule a picnic in Ocean City during the summer, and another meeting in the fall. The agenda for the April meeting will include:
- Amendments to the Bylaws: Our business meeting will focus on proposed revisions to our bylaws to update the operations in our ever-changing social media world. Key changes include reorganizing our management team into a Steering Committee with a more collegial approach to what we do. The proposed revisions will also allow us to do more of our business by internet. A copy of the recommended revised bylaws is available upon request.
- Review of the 2013 Maryland Legislative Session: We have invited Sen. Jim Mathias to report on the 2013 Maryland legislative session, which will have closed the previous week. (Del. Norm Conway has another commitment)
- Women in Politics: We are very happy to offer a unique opportunity for our members to learn how the trends in politics are bringing more women into public office. Our Club, along with the Democratic Women’s Club and the Democratic Central Committee of Worcester County, is sponsoring one of our most activist members, Judy Davis, to attend a training program directed at assisting women interested in public office. Judy is attending a six-month training program provided by EMERGE Maryland.
What is EMERGE Maryland?
Emerge Maryland is dedicated to changing the face of Maryland politics by identifying, training and encouraging women to run for office and get elected. The intensive, cohort-based six-month training program is unique. As the number of elected Democratic women remains flat or even declines, the need for their work is growing.
In the 224 years since statehood, Maryland has elected a total of eight women to the U.S. House of Representatives, one woman to the U.S. Senate, and zero women as Governor of Maryland. Currently, less than 31% of Maryland State legislators are women.
A pool of highly qualified Democratic candidates is going untapped. Too often, women do not see themselves running for office—they assume they aren’t experienced enough or they don’t know where to begin. Emerge Maryland is working to change that!
Election 2012 is here, now!
GENERAL ELECTION, TUESDAY, NOV. 6, AT YOUR LOCAL POLLING PLACE
President Barack Obama, Sen. Ben Cardin, and John LaFerla need your support!
Babies are just naturally scared of some presidential candidates. Fortunately, President Barack Obama inspires awe and happiness. Obama has a way with children! (Reblogged as a public service by the Democratic Club of Ocean City/Assateague.) P.S. Are you registered to vote? See the registration information on our Home page.)
Howard Sribnick, a member of the OCADC, has been appointed the Worcester County coordinator for the Obama Campaign.
Howard may be contacting you by phone or email to bring you up to date on planning for the 2012 elections. The Worcester County Democratic Central Committee recommended him to the Obama campaign team for this task. He heads up the Committee for Obama of the Central Committee.
Worcester County’s three Democratic clubs and the Central Committee intend to unite the efforts of the four organizations and the Obama campaign to help get out the Democratic vote in 2012.
So, if you get a call, or someone leaves a message on your answering machine, or you get an email from a guy named Howard, please give him all of the courtesy and assistance you can.
PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION 2012
In 2012, we will be electing the President of the United States, one U.S. Senator, U.S. House of Representatives members, Judges for the Circuit Court, Court of Special Appeals and Court of Appeals, and Board of Education members. In the primary elections, we will also elect delegates to the Democratic Party and Republican Party Conventions, which will be held during the Summer of 2012.
In 2014, elections for most Maryland state and Worcester County offices will be held.
2012 ELECTION DATES
- Deadline for Registering to Vote in the 2012 General Election, Oct. 16 @ 9 p.m.
- Early General Election Voting — Oct. 27, 29, 30, 31, and Nov. 1, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; and Sunday, Oct. 28, Noon to 6 p.m.
- GENERAL ELECTION DAY — TUESDAY, NOV. 6, 2012, polls open 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Note: Early voting in Worcester County will be held at the Gull Creek Senior Living Community, Berlin, MD.
Ocean City/Assateague Democratic Club Schedule
- Tuesday, March 6 — Forum for Democratic candidates for Congress in Maryland’s District 1, sponsored by Worcester County Democrats. Ocean Pines Library meeting room.
- Saturday, March 17 — St. Patrick’s Day Parade. Worcester County Democrats will walk and/or ride in the parade. If you’re interested in participating, call Lanny @ 410-600-0552, or email, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saturday, April 14 — Kennedy-King Dinner, Atlantic Hotel, Berlin, reception @ 6 p.m. and dinner @ 7 p.m. See details above.
- Wednesday, April 18 — Luncheon with analysis of the 2012 Maryland General Assembly session by Sen. Jim Mathias and Del. Norm Conway; and preparation for the 2012 General Election. 11:30 a.m. @ Davinci’s By The Sea, 15th St. and Boardwalk.
- Saturday-Sunday, April 21-22 — Democratic Eastern Shore Summit, Easton, MD. See details above.
- Wednesday, July 11 — Annual July Picnic at Fiesta Park. 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, Oct. 9 — Ocean City Candidates Forum, open to the public, to give all candidates for OC Mayor and Town Council an opportunity to share their views on how they will serve, if elected. The program will begin at 6 p.m., with the forum to start at 6:30 p.m. Forum venue to be announced soon.
Membership Renewals for the Ocean City/Assateague Democratic Club are under way. Dues are $10 per person. Dues may be mailed to OCADC, P.O. Box 3196, OC, MD 21843. If you wish to make an additional contribution, you may send it along with your dues. Thanks for your support! If you would like to join the Democratic Club, a membership form can be found and printed here.